TEXSAR Expands Capabilities

 

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Friends of TEXSAR,

Hurricane Harvey was the costliest disaster to ever strike the United States, bringing with it record flooding and catastrophic winds along the Texas coastline. Texas Search and Rescue answered the call from agencies all across Texas, providing more than 700 volunteer hours by 85 members who rescued over 700 people and pets from Harvey floodwaters.

Immediately following Hurricane Harvey, the 2nd annual TEXSAR Search Party fundraiser took place on September 30th where TEXSAR members and supporters gathered for an evening of remembrance, fun and fellowship. The TEXSAR Search Party is our primary fundraising event, generating well over 50% of our annual income.

Over these past two months, TEXSAR has received an outpouring of generosity from our supporters both in the form of moral, in-kind donations and financial support. And, because TEXSAR is 100% funded through donations, grants and membership dues, we wanted to take a moment to share with you how we are investing these monies directly back into the team. We are committed to financial transparency and fiscal responsibility, but more importantly, we are excited to have the wherewithal to increase our capabilities we can offer to our customers (requesting fire, police and emergency management agencies who never get charged for our services).

We constantly evaluate our capabilities and services through feedback from agencies we work with and team members who participate in deployments, exercises or planned events. Through your generous donations and member reinvestment, we are excited to announce the following investment in assets and training of over $115,000 improving TEXSAR’s capability to aid and assist our communities during times of need:

1. TEXSAR Dive Team – Effective early 2018, TEXSAR will field fully equipped, trained and certified members who will respond to water recovery needs in support of our ground search and rescue and swift water teams.
2. Two High Profile Vehicles – After proving their unmistakable value during Hurricane Harvey, we invested in an additional 5-ton high profile vehicle and a Humvee high clearance vehicle.
3. Digital Radio Communications Upgrade – The ability to communicate during an emergency or a disaster is critical. TEXSAR will invest in a significant upgrade to our communications capability, including mobile repeaters, mobile radios, comms trailers and handheld radios.
4. Mobile Command Trailers – After receiving generous donations of two travel trailers, we will modify the units to serve as mobile command and rehabilitation trailers for deployments.
5. Rescue Boat Operator Training – TEXSAR will sponsor and pay for a rescue boat operator course that will result in an additional 12 members receiving their RBO certification, extensively increasing our on-water capability.
6. Annual Team Training – The 2018 TEXSAR annual team training and meeting will be free to members.

TEXSAR is grateful and humbled by our donors and members generosity and believe that investing back into the team and our communities is at the very core of our success. We continue to believe that fiscal responsibility and respect for our donor’s dollar is paramount and will always be part of our core value. We are proud that over 90% of your donated dollar goes directly to team operations, equipment, supplies and deployment expenses. The other 10% funds our Executive Director and insurance expenses. We are proud that this year we achieved Platinum Level Status on GuideStar ( https://www.guidestar.org/profile/84-1644603 ) and were recognized by GreatNonprofits as a 2017 Top-Rated Nonprofit ( https://greatnonprofits.org/org/texsar-texas-search-and-rescue ) for our fiscal and operational transparency.

Thank you for your amazing generosity and know that you are making a difference in your communities and the communities of your fellow Texans. All of us at Texas Search and Rescue know the value of your donation and want to ensure you that your money is being spent responsibly.

Thank you again, and as always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Justen R. Noakes
CEO
(210) 889-0605
justen.noakes@texsar.org

Emergency Activation: (512) 994-4SAR or (512) 994-4727
www.texsar.org