GSAR 1 – 11/2/19-11/3/19 – Three Rivers
Date(s): 11/02/2019 - 11/03/2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Three Rivers, TX
County Road 421
Three Rivers, TX 78071
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TEXSAR is conducting a Rescue Training International (RTI) GSAR 1 Course (Ground Search and Rescue Level 1) for new members needing to get certified in GSAR, for those who took GSAR 1 within the last three years and need to recertify, and those who are currently certified and who wish to audit. It will be an 18-hour course Saturday and Sunday and will include night operations for a few hours on Saturday night.
This certification is required of all TEXSAR personnel to be field deployable (including Swiftwater Rescue/FAST, Wildland Fire, etc). If you have accrued scholarship funds by assisting with fundraisers or other extra TEXSAR work, you may apply those funds to this class (you can check your scholarship fund balance in your SIMS profile).
The normal cost of the class is $250, but the price is variable depending on certain factors:
- $212.50 – New certifications for TEXSAR members
- $125 – Recertifications (must have a current GSAR 1 cert)
- Free – Members who joined between 3/11/17-10/7/18 and have not yet used their GSAR credit
If you’re not needing to recertify and have already completed the course within the last three years, you may audit for free, but you will still need to register for the class.
IMPORTANT – If you cannot make the class and do not cancel your registration before materials have been ordered (usually within two weeks of the class), the cost of the class, including those who registered using their GSAR credit, is non-refundable.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (classroom and field instruction)
- Saturday 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. (night operations)
- Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (field instruction)
- (There will be a 1-hour break for lunch each day.)
What to Wear:
- Appropriate attire for the area and weather (long pants, hiking boots or comfortable shoes, etc.)
- If you are a TEXSAR member, a TEXSAR uniform is preferred, but there’s no need to go out and buy one before class if you don’t have one yet. This can be any combination of approved uniform pieces (khaki BDU pants, TEXSAR T-shirt or polo, orange field shirt, etc).
What to Bring:
- Camp chair
- Snake gaiters (recommended if you have them)
- If you do not have an orange shirt please bring an orange vest – it’s hunting season so orange clothing is a must.
- Your 12-hour pack (or as much of it as you currently have)
- If you do not currently have everything in your pack list, please at least have the following items:
- Pack of some sort
- A way to carry water
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Orienteering compass (not lensatic)
- Pen and notepad
- Any personal medications or necessities that you may need.
- Food or money for meals
- GPS (if you have one – don’t go buy one for this class)
- Rain Gear/Poncho
- If you are missing something from the above list, please let the instructor know, and they will try to get it for you.
Students are welcome to stay wherever they like, but there will be a few on-site lodging options:
- One RV hookup
- House with nine single beds
- House with two king beds, one queen bed, and a set of bunkbeds
You must be logged in to your TEXSAR account to register.
This training event is full.