Wilderness SAR – 08/05/23-08/06/23 – Galveston County
Date(s): 08/05/2023 - 08/06/2023
Galveston County OEM
Dickinson, TX 77539
Contact Email: email@example.com
NOTE: As this is hurricane season, if there is the likelihood of a hurricane deployment this class will be either rescheduled or cancelled to prioritize the deployment.
TEXSAR is conducting a Wilderness SAR Course for new members needing to become field deployable, for those who took a Ground or Wilderness SAR course within the last three years and need to renew, and those who are currently certified and who wish to audit. It will be a weekend course Saturday and Sunday and will include night operations for a few hours on Saturday night.
This class is required of all TEXSAR personnel to be field deployable (including Swiftwater Rescue/FAST, Wildland Fire, etc). If you have accrued scholarship funds by assisting with fundraisers or other extra TEXSAR work, you have the opportunity to apply those funds to this class (you can check your scholarship fund balance in your SIMS profile).
The cost of the class is $150. If you’re not needing to renew your field deployability and have already completed a Ground or Wilderness SAR course within the last three years, you may audit for free. Please email the instructor if you plan to audit the class.
IMPORTANT – If you cannot make the class and do not cancel your registration, the cost of the class is non-refundable.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (classroom and field instruction) (Galveston County OEM / Jack Brooks Park)
- Saturday 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. (night operations) (Jack Brooks Park)
- Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (classroom and field instruction) (Galveston County OEM / Jack Brooks Park)
- Times listed are approximate, and end times may vary depending on the pace of the class
- There will be a 1-hour break for lunch each day and a break for dinner on Saturday.
What to Wear:
- Appropriate attire for the area and weather (long pants, hiking boots or comfortable shoes, etc.)
- If you are a TEXSAR member, a TEXSAR uniform is preferred, but there’s no need to go out and buy one before class if you don’t have one yet. This can be any combination of approved uniform pieces (khaki BDU pants, TEXSAR T-shirt or polo, orange field shirt, etc).
What to Bring:
- Your 12-hour pack (or as much of it as you currently have)
- If you do not currently have everything in your pack list, please at least have the following items:
- Pack of some sort
- Water and a way to carry it
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Pen and notepad
- Any personal medications or necessities that you may need.
- Food or money for meals
- GPS (if you have one – don’t go buy one for this class)
- Clothing appropriate for the weather. The outdoor portions of this class will happen rain or shine, heat or cold.
- If you are missing something from the above list, please let the instructor know, and they will try to get it for you.
* The specific class details will be emailed out prior to the day of the class.
You must be logged in to your TEXSAR account to register.
Registration is closed for this event.