Wilderness SAR – 4/15/23-4/16/23 – Central Texas
Date(s): 04/15/2023 - 04/16/2023
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Russell Park, Lake Georgetown
2101 Co Rd 262
Georgetown, TX 78633
Contact Email: email@example.com
TEXSAR is conducting a Wilderness SAR Course for new members needing to become field deployable, for those who took a Ground or Wilderness SAR course within the last three years and need to renew, and those who are currently certified and who wish to audit. It will be a weekend course Saturday and Sunday and will include night operations for a few hours on Saturday night.
This class is required of all TEXSAR personnel to be SAR Responders. If you have accrued scholarship funds by assisting with fundraisers or other extra TEXSAR work, you have the opportunity to apply those funds to this class (you can check your scholarship fund balance in your SIMS profile).
The cost of the class is $150. If you have already completed a Ground or Wilderness SAR course within the last three years, you may audit for free. Please email the instructor if you plan to audit the class.
We have a group site reserved for this class. This will give us the opportunity to do some tent camping and make the class more of an adventure retreat/team bonding experience. If participants would rather not tent camp but still want to attend the class, they can make lodging arrangements outside the park and still come back to the park for class.
IMPORTANT – If you cannot make the class and do not cancel your registration, the cost of the class is non-refundable.
- Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (classroom and field instruction)
- Saturday 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. (night operations)
- Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (field instruction)
- (There will be a 1-hour break for lunch each day.)
What to Wear:
- Appropriate attire for the area and weather (long pants, hiking boots or comfortable shoes, etc.)
- If you are a TEXSAR member, a TEXSAR uniform is preferred, but there’s no need to go out and buy one before class if you don’t have one yet. This can be any combination of approved uniform pieces (khaki BDU pants, TEXSAR T-shirt or polo, orange field shirt, etc).
What to Bring:
- Your 12-hour pack (or as much of it as you currently have)
- If you do not currently have everything in your pack list, please at least have the following items:
- Pack of some sort
- A way to carry water
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Pen and notepad
- Any personal medications or necessities that you may need.
- Food or money for meals
- GPS (if you have one – don’t go buy one for this class)
- Rain Gear/Poncho
- If you are missing something from the above list, please let the instructor know, and they will try to get it for you.
- Current CPR certification uploaded to SIMS.
- Currently SAR Support or higher tier.
* The specific building, room, and other class details will be emailed out prior to the day of the class.
You must be logged in to your TEXSAR account to register.
Registration is closed for this event.